Vegetarian Keto Diet 2019: The Keto Diet was initially introduced in the 1920s where doctors wanted to use a diet plan for epilepsy patients for controlling their seizures. In the post-modern times, Keto diets are now used for weight loss purposes.
What was the idea behind the Keto Diet?
The idea was to take a diet that overall contained high-fat percentage, low carbohydrates, and moderate proteins. The logic applied here was that the body should be allowed to create energy through fat stores and not from carbs. The entire process is called ketosis.
Which foods are used to create Ketosis?
People who have no restrictions on animal products always use meat, and essential dairy products to follow a ketogenic diet.
Can a Vegetarian or a Vegan follow a Ketogenic Diet?
Yes, there are plant-based foods that can easily be incorporated for a keto diet. However, there will be differences between vegetarian and vegan food items for a keto diet.
Vegetarian Keto Diet 2019
The first thing you need to do is classify yourself under which category do you fall when it comes to your nutrition and food intake choices. A vegetarian and a vegan are two different aspects, and even within them are several other classifications.
1. Vegans – A vegan strictly restricts himself from eating all animal foods, dairy products, and even food items like honey.
2. Pescatarians – A pescatarian consumes eggs, dairy, and seafood but strictly avoids red meat and poultry.
3. Lacto-Ovo Vegetarians – They eat eggs, and dairy but they strictly avoid meat and seafood.
4. Lacto Vegetarians – They consume all the dairy products but strictly avoid meat, seafood, and poultry.
These are the four basic classifications under which you can identify yourself to make better keto food choices as per your lifestyle and preference. However, there might also be some of you who might fit partially into two different categories, and that’s fine.
Vegetarian Food Choices for Protein
1. Greek Yogurt and Buttermilk – These two can easily be made at home and are a good source of protein. They are also rich in probiotics and buttermilk also helps in proper digestion.
2. Eggs – For a vegetarian, eggs are there go-to protein supplement. One whole egg contains a good amount of protein and healthy fats.
3. Hemp Seeds – The seeds are very rich in protein and are also a good source of fiber; another thing to note here is that they are also rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.
4. Cheese – There is the various form of cheese available that are rich in both protein and healthy fats. You can go for the cottage cheese, or parmesan and romano cheese as well.
5. Peanut Butter – It is another variant which will give you sufficient protein and fats.
Plant Based Vegetarian Food Options
You will have to consume vegetables which are very low in carbohydrates and can also give you sufficient nutrition. For reaching the desired ketosis, we need to maintain low carbohydrate levels. The limit can be to 50 grams a day.
* Cauliflower – This veggie has the potential to keep you full and is an excellent substitute for the potatoes you need to avoid. It is rich in Vitamin C and fiber.
* Spinach – This one should be a must because not only it is a low carb option but is also a good source of protein.
* Avocados – This is an another must food item that you should have. It is super rich in healthy fats and will also give you a variety of fruit.
* Zucchini – It is a low-calorie option. It will be a perfect option on a particular day if you have consumed high carbohydrates because zucchini only has 17 calories per 100 grams of its consumption.
* Mushrooms – It is another low calorie and low carb option.
You can always include other green leafy vegetables as per your wishes, but these five are the primary options for a low carb diet. Two servings a day are more than enough.
Other Vegetarian Food Options
* Nuts – Almond and Walnuts are highly recommended as both serve the purpose of delivering healthy fats. Soaking them overnight and peeling them off while eating is essential.
* Seeds – Chia, Flax, hemp, and pumpkin seeds.
* Berries – All types of berries can be taken at times in moderation.
* Oils – Organic olive oil, nut oil, and MCT oil
* Condiments – Himalayan salt or Celtic salt, black pepper, lemon juice, herbs, etc.
You are at you will customize from all the food choices as per our taste and considerations. However, there should be no compromise on the limits of per day consumption of carbs, fats, and protein.
Note: There can be some disadvantages of following a ketogenic diet such as low sugar levels, nutritional deficiencies, dehydration, etc. You are advised to consult a doctor or a dietician if you face such issues after beginning with the keto diet.
The best thing to do is consult a licensed dietician who can prepare you for your keto regimen accordingly as per your nutritional status, BMI, and based on other essential factors.
Related Tags: Vegetarian Keto Diet 2019